Saturday, February 28, 2009

That horse's head again ...

Posted by Picasa
Another splendid addition to the team photo collection from Marion Barter, to whom thanks are due.  This shows the horse's head that was found in the baulk of F3351 part way through excavation, just before it was extricated from its resting place.  L to R: Phil Dixon adjusting the camera, Crickley Hill Man (still with some hair to my surprise), Mike Webb, ? and Dave Southwood. The later journey to the finds hut I posted here a few weeks ago. The work in progress on the digging of F3351 is here, here and here. The final cleaned up pit is here.  Now that I see Marion's photo, I have a vague recollection that the skull was poised so much on the edge of the baulk that it was in danger of falling out downwards before it had been photographed. I seem to remember briefly packing some stones against the side of the baulk to stop it collapsing, but I may have invented this.

No comments: